About Me

My photo
I am a married woman with children out of the home now developing my own interests, hobbies making my way through the heat of the experiences and days of my life. (Click on pictures to enlarge.)

Followers

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Weekend Snapshots

The town I live in held its annual Berry Beat Festival today. Actually all this weekend. In this town alone berry harvesting accounts for 25% of our annual income from agriculture. There are at least 5000 acres of berries planted here.
These are just a couple of snapshots I took today, just straight out of the camera photos. The ladies of the Red Hat Society were all present today, very colourful and festive in thier purple dresses and red hats. It reminds me of the poem I read a long time ago, When I Grow Old I Shall Wear Purple.

Here is one of the hats, festively done up with heart shaped Strawberries.

When I am Old
I will wear Purple!
When I am an old woman,
I shall wear purple - -
With a red hat which doesn't go,
and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves and satin sandles,
And say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
and gobble up samples in shops
and press alarm bells
and run with my stick along public railings,
and make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
and pick flowers in other people's gardens
and learn to spit!
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
and eat three pounds of sausages at a go,
or only bread and pickles for a week,
and hoard pens and pencils
and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry,
and pay our rent
and not swear in the street,
and set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner
and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me
are not too shocked and surprised
when suddenly I am old,
And start to wear purple!
--Jenny Joseph
I have always loved this poem, I think because it was a favorite of my Mom's and she has been gone now for many years. It reminds me a bit about her and I feel a twinge of missing her when I think of it. So here it is for you all to read and contemplate.
For more Weekend Snapshots please visit http://slack-jawed.com/
Weekend Snapshots will be hosted at the above address for the time being.



5 comments:

Weekend Snapshot said...

I love berries! There's a local place here that also harvests a lot of these.

Thank you for still participating. You can list your entry in the Mister Linky at the site now :)

Kero said...

I just made a couple of berry muffins an hour ago. I used fresh frozen blue berries, rasberries and strawberries. bet you can have all these freshly picked in your place. lucky, lucky you!

Hope you can visit my WS entry here http://kcelebration.blogspot.com/search/label/weekend%20snapshot

Aimee said...

strawberries are my favorites! and i love the poem too. thanks for sharing.

Marites said...

i love berries! the hat is really cute! The poem got me smiling:) MY WS is up too.

Unknown said...

that's a funny poem, with poignant wit.:P

love the red hat decorated with berries.