About Me

My photo
I am a married woman with children out of the home now developing my own interests, hobbies making my way through the heat of the experiences and days of my life. (Click on pictures to enlarge.)

Followers

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

This Old House

My sister and I recently took a road trip from Medicine Hat to Edmonton to see my niece, her daughter graduate from her Caregiving course. We rented a car, filled it full of our bags, our snacks and drinks, and our trusty set of directions located on a private Facebook message about how to get from here to there in no uncertain terms! You know the kind, go this many miles to this road turn right and continue till you get to this road, turn left and so on and so on. We had about  6 hours of travel and barring our stops for more food and those freshen up stops we made it to Edmonton in 7 hours. Pretty good, right??
We had a blast in Edmonton, and really enjoyed proud Mom and Auntie moments watching Tracey receive  her Certificate. We shopped till we dropped. We ate more food in three days than most eat in a week. But like all holidays, they must come to an end and we had to go home.

That is where the challenges began. Have you ever tryed to take the list of directions that brought you to one place and turn it around so it can take you back to where you came from? 
Well, needless to say, we ran into a few directional difficulties (detours) and we ended up travelling down a couple of roads that were not exactly on our backward map.

It can't be a mistake if it takes you to places you might never of seen had it not been for that unplanned detour, can it??? 
 I would never of seen this abandoned relic of an old house sitting in the middle of a farmer's field had it not been for that particular detour!

I stopped short of climbing through the barbed wire fence that surrounded the house to get closer and take better pictures of the place. 
I have been known to do that on occasion. Probably not the safest thing to do around these parts. I have been told that there are Rattle Snakes in this province and that the farmers don't take too lightly to trespassers on their property. 
This old house has seen better days. Its covered inside and out with graffiti, broken windows, peeling boards and surrounded in brown grass.. It has broken stairs and furniture inside. The elements have taken their toll. 
But it has history and if it could, probably a story or two to tell. 
And I would of never seen it if it had not been for that darn detour. (Detour- that's my story and I am sticking to it)
I'd love to tell you exactly where this place was but we were kind of lost, you know, the detour!!

15 comments:

Laura Delegal - Leroy Photography said...

Wow well captured. Love the colors.

Anonymous said...

Interesting shots, that is just part of what nature elements can do. History indeed.

We invite you to come and share via our hop: http://www.craftyspices.com/hops/wwhop
Happy Wordless Wednesday!

Heather said...

Love this series of photos. I especially like the top one and second from bottom.

Andrea said...

A thing happens for a reason, and it is up to us to know or not what it was! It can be reminding us of something we would otherwise hasn't put any attention to, or whatever! Anyway, at least those are lovely shots.

Indrani said...

I like the old feeling in these shots.

Danica Bridges-Martin said...

Love the colors of the 1st shot! :) Danica

Sofia said...

Fantastic captures! I especially like the treatment of colors here.

Unknown said...

I love these so much! I especially love the brown grass how it sets off the building!

Light and Voices said...

I enjoyed your story about how going home became an adventure. Look at that old abandoned house and the quality of the photographs. Imagine the stories that foundation could tell. Lovely blog.
JM Illinois
U.S.A.

Anonymous said...

I have had that issue of directions only working one way. At least you had a great diversion. That first shot is wonderfully dramatic!

Nancy said...

These images are so well done -- I feel as if I was sneaking around with you. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful images of that old derelict.

Unknown said...

"Dew Drops" has been included in the Sites To See for this week. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2013/05/sites-to-see_24.html

Linda W. said...

I love photos of old, weathered buildings. You got some good captures.

deborah said...

We've taken a few 'treasured' detours ourselves! These are fabulous ... love the character of this old building, as well a the tall weathered grass around it! If only those walls could talk! I do wonder how old it is! I took a detour through Tuesday Muse to drop in. :) Have a wonderful weekend!